[Vwoolf] Encountering Virginia Woolf

LAURIE REICHE p.reiche at comcast.net
Fri Aug 23 16:25:16 EDT 2013

It's 1971 and having dropped-out of Clarenceville High School (which is on the outskirts of Detroit) in my junior year, I'm in a strange musician's bed (an extraordinary pianist, but a stranger nonetheless), and it's three in the morning and the boy left the room to go prepare us some snacks, so to keep myself from the boredom of waiting in yet another musician's unfamiliar bed, (it seems that sleeping with musician's has become my profession since I haven't yet figured-out that writing, which I do obsessively, as well as reading, can  be a profession), I reach for the book I have stashed in my big shoulder bag and I remember it's "To The Lighthouse." Odd that it's not my usual Sartre or Dostoyevsky. And I begin reading where I left off and I remember not quite understanding the book---it isn't as cut and dry as "The Idiot." Probably I'm reading Woolf for the first time because Anais Nin, in her diaries (which I'd stumbled upon in a tiny pre-chain bookstore and most likely bought because the cover had such an intriguing photo of an exotic looking woman) had mentioned Woolf as well as other women authors such as George Sand and Colette and I'm determined to read every book Nin mentions---which took me to Artaud and Sontag, too! So I'm reading Woolf but I'm an unconscious young woman and I let Woolf's words sink in and they become a part of my body, my nervous system, and I'm not aware that I will come back to Woolf and some day read "The Waves" every day, as if it's the Bible-- I still read a few pages a day and when I reach the end I just begin again because "The Waves" (Woolf's masterpiece I staunchly believe) is like listening to Beethoven or like going to another planet where there's stark and beautiful wisdom floating every which way. And in Detroit in 1971, in a strangers bed, I didn't feel so alone with Woolf in my hands. And I decided I'd go on living.
	Laurie Lessen Reiche

It was 1971 and, having dropped out of Clarenceville High School which is and was on the outskirts of Detroit, I was wondering from one musician's bed to another and, from the bed of one particular  I remember reaching