[Vwoolf] "Three Guineas" Italian-style

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Wed Apr 3 07:34:32 EDT 2013

If countries are to be judged by the illustrations on the covers of
classic books, there are few if any that will not be found wanting . . .
Years ago I attended a lecture on popular editions / translations of
Joseph Conrad's works, and many of the covers could have been used for
cheap romances of the Harlequin variety. In contrast the cover of the
Italian "Three Guineas" is relatively inoffensive. And if Woolf portrays
Rezia's sewing in a positive way in "Mrs Dalloway" why should not
hanging washing out also be seen as a worthy task? There is of course an
element of stereotyping there, but it is not a demeaning image. Better
than the sultry maidens and white heroes in Conrad's jacket illustrations!

Jeremy Hawthorn

--
Jeremy Hawthorn
Emeritus professor