[Vwoolf] The Stephens Riding up Mt. Pentelicus

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:29:59 EDT 2012

I'm trying to locate a photograph "The Stephens Riding up Mt. Pentelicus,
Greece 1906", reproduced in Hermione Lee's VW. It's listed in the photo
credits of the ppb edition as "privately owned"...any ideas?

With thanks,

Jean
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Anne Margaret Daniel <daniela at newschool.edu
> wrote:

> Oh dear.  This old word again -- so often applied to Woolf, Yeats,
> Eliot....quite a few of the High (-toned) Moderns.  Rather applicable at
> times to some of them, but, I think, never to Woolf.  Something to ponder
> over the weekend:  why does speaking in proper English and using words well
> so frequently get authors called "snobs"?  And I'll leave you with
> Virginia's own reply to such accusations, which she must have grinned at as
> she penned it: "Dont dismiss me as an etiolated, decadent, enervated,
> emasculated, priggish blood-waterish 'ighbrow."
> A happy weekend to everyone.
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Kristin Czarnecki <
> Kristin_Czarnecki at georgetowncollege.edu> wrote:
>
>>  Good morning,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> It’s been a banner week for Woolf bashing. Nick Hornby claims to have
>> read *Mrs. Dalloway* for the first time just recently and decides that
>> Woolf’s a snob, and the second article includes a photo of Woolf with the
>> caption, “Snob: Virginia Woolf.”****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Kristin****
>>
>> ** **
>>

>> http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pageviews/2012/10/nick-hornby-blasts-booker-woolf-and-snobbery-at-the-92nd-street-y
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>

>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2223170/This-feast-diaries-leave-indigestion-EVENTS-DEAR-BOY-EVENTS-A-POLITICAL-DIARY-OF-BRITAIN-FROM-WOOLF-TO-CAMPBELL-EDITED-BY-RUTH-WINSTONE.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
>> ****
>>
>> ** **

Jean Mills, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor