[Vwoolf] Banner Week

Anne Margaret Daniel daniela at newschool.edu
Fri Oct 26 13:45:51 EDT 2012

Oh dear.  This old word again -- so often applied to Woolf, Yeats,
Eliot....quite a few of the High (-toned) Moderns.  Rather applicable at
times to some of them, but, I think, never to Woolf.  Something to ponder
over the weekend:  why does speaking in proper English and using words well
so frequently get authors called "snobs"?  And I'll leave you with
Virginia's own reply to such accusations, which she must have grinned at as
she penned it: "Dont dismiss me as an etiolated, decadent, enervated,
emasculated, priggish blood-waterish 'ighbrow."
A happy weekend to everyone.