[Vwoolf] FW: Etymology of Term Used in A Room of One's Own

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 7 04:34:54 EDT 2012

My French isn’t good enough to understand fully their uses of the term, but Larousse online merely suggests that a “fagot” is a bundle of sticks for kindling, while the metaphorical use of the verb is to dress without taste: “regarde comme elle fagote ses enfants”.  I wonder if it is ever applied to men.

Cf. “Orlando” (Hogarth, 1928), p. 40: “Was that figure of fun at the end of the table with her hair rigged up like a Maypole (comme une grande perche mal fagotée) really the Queen?”

The translation was supplied by Vita (at Virginia’s request) in her letter of 26 April 1928.

(I would be prepared to go to the stake that VW would not have comprehended faggot as meaning “A (male) homosexual. slang (orig. and chiefly U.S.).”  On the other hand, she would be much more likely to have known (or at least heard of) the plural use as “a sort of cake, roll, or ball,..made of chopped liver and lights, mixed with gravy, and wrapped in pieces of pig's caul.”  I wonder how many people in N. America have heard of “faggots” used thus.)

Stuart