[Vwoolf] Wednesday in June

Elaine Pigeon pigeonel at videotron.ca
Tue Jun 19 10:06:35 EDT 2012

That’s really interesting as astrologically the Sun represents consciousness amongst other things and if it is eclipsed by the moon, which corresponds to unconscious forces, it is a moment when these rise to the surface, just as Septimus Smith’s life rises to the fore in the novel. There’s a parallel there.
Elaine Pigeon, PhD
Concordia University

Dear Molly--

In Robin Lippincott's Mr. Dalloway, which I reviewed (along with a couple of other Woolf-inspired novels) some years ago in the Woolf Studies Annual, it is a solar eclipse which is seen to be a clue to dating--and is at the center of the day in June the "novella" involves.

As I recall, I rather liked the allusion, having been lucky enough to witness a solar eclipse myself.  Clearly an eclipse is more special, the solstice being an annual occurrence.

Hoping your summer is happy--
Karen