[Vwoolf] Wednesday in June

kllevenback at att.net kllevenback at att.net
Tue Jun 19 09:17:03 EDT 2012

Dear Molly--

In Robin Lippincott's Mr. Dalloway, which I reviewed (along with a couple of
other Woolf-inspired novels) some years ago in the Woolf Studies Annual, it is a
solar eclipse which is seen to be a clue to dating--and is at the center of the
day in June the "novella" involves.

As I recall, I rather liked the allusion, having been lucky enough to witness a
solar eclipse myself.  Clearly an eclipse is more special, the solstice being an
annual occurrence.

Hoping your summer is happy--
Karen

It has been my considered opinion that Mrs Dalloway takes place on the Summer
Solstice which, according to Whitaker's Almanac, occurs on June 21 in
1923."Everything had come to a standstill." Other opinions? Molly