[Vwoolf] Speculative recuperations of Woolf's suicide

Anne-Marie Lindsey amtonyan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 17:09:56 EDT 2012

Here's where I have to jump in to back up Brenda; I left official Woolf scholarship in part because I was not handling my mental illness during graduate school. I am uncomfortable with comparisons to periscopes and references to mythology. I am not comfortable with the idea that suicide is poetry or poetic and beautifully mysterious. Mental illness really is what Woolf talked about in her last letter, and we all know that most attempts at treating her mental illness had been utter failures. It's not romantic; it's horrific. We cannot get inside her head, and we have no reason to assume that she did not tell Leonard the truth in her letter. Yes, there is context. Fear and anxiety were major components of Woolf's illness, and the threat of a Nazi invasion is not exactly conducive to calm.

All the same, mental illness in general and suicidal thoughts or plans are medical issues. It does us all a disservice to romanticize suicide. There is nothing romantic about coming to the conclusion that the only way to make it stop, whether it's hearing voices or grief or anxiety, is to end one's own life. I know from personal experience that it most often takes careful treatment by doctors who are well-trained to bring anyone back from that place. We do not do anyone any good by holding up Woolf (or Plath) as having met romantic ends. I remember learning that Woolf was a good swimmer, and that it must have taken enormous will power not to fight drowning. Maybe that sounds romantic to someone, but it sounds truly terrifying to me. My point is that Woolf's suicide is biographical event that resulted from a horrifically painful mental illness. It is not a statement about politics or The Abyss or World War II. When she wanted to make statements, she did so in writing. I want to see classrooms and texts present her suicide as the result of a mental illness without either shaming that illness or romanticizing it.

Anne-Marie