[Vwoolf] Woolf in Pop Culture

Stephen Barkway sbarkway at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 15 12:03:30 EDT 2012

And it goes on . . . Here is a piece from yesterday's Guardian, in which Pat Barker's Woolfianesque titled novel 'Toby's Room' is noticed (due out in August):

Pat Barker has a penchant – or perhaps compulsion – for revisiting her characters, most obviously in the Regeneration trilogy, which culminated with 1995's Booker prize-winning The Ghost Road. Here, she's back with the students of the Slade School of Art, whom we first met five years ago in her novel Life Class. Not that Toby's Room is a straightforward continuation: its narrative is split between 1912 and 1917, bookendingLife Class's 1914 setting.

Barker's focus is art student Elinor Brooke, torn between a desperate desire for independence and a feeling (partly ascribed to Virginia Woolf, whom she briefly meets) that the war has nothing to do with women. But when her troubled brother, Toby, is reported "Missing, Believed Killed", she knows that she must find out what happened to him, and enlists the help of her one-time lover, Paul Tarrant. The novel's tension derives from the ambiguity of Elinor's search; the extent to which she simply wants to put to rest her doubts about Toby's mental state. More than 20 years after she first began writing about the first world war, Barker's determined unsentimentality is still impressive.

Stephen