[STEM-funding] NEH Humanities in the Public Square; IES Education Research; NSF I-Corps Teams webinar

Christopher Andersen andersen.18 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 29 16:50:27 EDT 2015

*To be added to the stem-funding listserv or to manage your listserv
subscription,
visithttp://lists.service.ohio-state.edu/mailman/listinfo/stem-funding

*1)* The National Endowment for the Humanities *"The Common Good: The
Humanities in the Public Square"* initiative "envisions humanities scholars
and organizations turning their attention and expertise to topics that have
widespread resonance with the American people and that lend themselves to
humanistic methods and concerns. Organizations are encouraged to think
creatively about what discussion topics would be meaningful to their
community." From the program guidelines (
http://www.neh.gov/grants/public/humanities-in-the-public-square):

The project should consist of
1. a public forum that engages scholars and humanities practitioners in
discussion with a public audience about a theme;
2. subsequent public programs that would use creative formats to engage
audiences in reflection on and discussion of a humanities theme for an
extended period of time; and
3. educational resources that disseminate materials for ongoing use by
teachers, students, and/or lifelong learners

A list of questions that exemplify promising subjects might include the
following:

   - How can the humanities illuminate both the positive and worrisome ways
   in which the remarkable advances in information technology are affecting
   individuals and communities in contemporary American life?
   - How can the humanities enrich the debate over the appropriate balance
   of security and privacy that technological advances have placed before us?
   - How can the humanities deepen public understanding of the meaning of
   democratic citizenship in the twenty-first century in relationship to our
   founding principles and values, our political history, and our current
   circumstances?
   - How can the humanities contribute to the understanding of the
   relationships between humans and the natural world?
   - How can the humanities illuminate the legacies of recent wars and
   conflicts and contribute to the achievement of a deeper and broader public
   understanding of the experience and lessons of war? (For more details, see
   NEH’s Standing Together initiative)
   - How can the humanities contribute to the full incorporation of
   veterans into civilian life and help all of us appreciate their unique
   perspectives? (For more details see NEH’s Standing Together initiative.)
   - How can the humanities assist the country in addressing the challenges
   and opportunities created by the changing demographics in many American
   communities?
   - How can the humanities illuminate the enormous promise of new
   biomedical technologies and procedures and deepen our understanding of the
   complex ethical and personal questions they raise?
   - How can the humanities address the various forms of cultural and
   political polarization that have become so prevalent in contemporary
   American life and thereby contribute to the building of new forms of
   community and understanding?

Awards can be up to $300,000 over 12 months (beginning in January 2016).
Proposals are due June 24.

*2)* The US Department of Education's Institute of Education Sciences has
published the notice for the FY 16 *IES Education Research Grant* program (
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-04-15/pdf/2015-08627.pdf).
Applications are accepted in ten education research topics:

   - Cognition and Student Learning.
   - Early Learning Programs and Policies.
   - Education Technology.
   - Effective Teachers and Effective Teaching.
   - English Learners.
   - Improving Education Systems: Policies, Organization, Management, and
   Leadership.
   - Mathematics and Science Education.
   - Postsecondary and Adult Education.
   - Reading and Writing.
   - Social and Behavioral Context for Academic Learning.

Budgets vary depending on type of project. Letters of intent are due May 21
and full proposals are due August 6.
3) The National Science Foundation will hold an introductory webinar about
the *Innovation Corps Teams Program (NSF I-Corps Teams)* on Tuesday, May 5
at 2:00 pm (Login information at
http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/i-corps/teams.jsp). From the
program solicitation (
http://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?ods_key=nsf12602&org=NSF):

The NSF I-Corps Teams purpose is to identify NSF-funded researchers who
will receive additional support–in the form of mentoring and funding–to
accelerate innovation that can attract subsequent third-party funding.

The purpose of the NSF I-Corps Teams grant is to give the project team
access to resources to help determine the readiness to transition
technology developed by previously-funded or currently-funded NSF projects.
The outcomes of I-Corps Teams projects will be threefold: 1) a clear go or
no go decision regarding viability of products and services, 2) should the
decision be to move the effort forward, a transition plan for those
projects to move forward, and 3) a technology demonstration for potential
partners.

 [image: The Ohio State University]
Christopher Andersen
Director
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Initiatives
186 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall, Columbus, OH 43210-1335 USA
andersen.18 at osu.edu
Looking for upcoming STEM outreach activities? Visit
http://stemoutreach.osu.edu
Education, diversity, & outreach resources for faculty & staff at
http://steminitiatives.osu.edu
Support STEM Initiatives through OSU Foundation fund 315007
<https://www.giveto.osu.edu/makeagift/?fund=315007>

*STEM Initiatives social media*
*Facebook:* http://www.facebook.com/stem.initiatives
*Twitter:* @osuSTEMfunding <http://twitter.com/osuSTEMfunding> (grant