[STEM-funding] NSF CAREER, I-Corps L, STEM+C; NASA SMD Science Education; NIH crowdsourcing & interactive media

Christopher Andersen andersen.18 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 26 13:27:36 EST 2015

*To be added to the stem-funding listserv or to manage your listserv
subscription, visit
**http://lists.service.ohio-state.edu/mailman/listinfo/stem-funding

*1) NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER)* (
http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503214): The NSF CAREER
program provides five years of support for untenured faculty in fields
funded by NSF. STEM Initiatives has several offerings to help Ohio State
faculty prepare proposals:

*March 10:* A panel discussion
<https://steminitiatives.osu.edu/events/nsf-faculty-early-career-development-career-award-panel-discussion-0>
with recent Ohio State faculty members who have received NSF CAREER awards
and former NSF program directors.
*March 24:* "How to Write a Winning NSF CAREER Proposal
<http://steminitiatives.osu.edu/events/how-write-winning-nsf-career-proposal>"
webinar
*April 1:* A workshop
<http://steminitiatives.osu.edu/events/developing-your-nsf-career-integrated-researcheducation-plan>
focusing on the outreach/education/diversity portion of NSF CAREER proposals

For more information and to register, visit http://go.osu.edu/nsfcareer

*2) The NSF Innovation Corps Teams (I-Corps Teams)* program provides
support for commercialization of NSF basic research (
http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504672). A recent "Dear
Colleague" letter highlights the inclusion of learning innovations into the
I-Corps program *(I-Corps for Learning)* (
http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2015/nsf15050/nsf15050.jsp):

To challenge NSF researchers to think beyond their research results and
toward broader adoption of STEM education and learning innovations, NSF's
Innovation Corps Teams Program will encourage proposals that take
discoveries and promising practices from education research and development
and promote opportunities for widespread adoption, adaptation, and
utilization. I-Corps for Learning (I-Corps L) Teams will receive support -
in the form of mentoring and funding - to accelerate innovation in learning
that can be successfully scaled, in a sustainable manner.

Awards are $50,000 over 6 months (F&A is limited to $5000). Proposals are
due April 15.

*3) NIH Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) Advancing Biomedical Science Using
Crowdsourcing & Interactive Digital Media (UH2)* (
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CA-15-006.html):

The purpose of this Big Data to Knowledge funding opportunity (FOA)
announcement is to support the development of new or significantly adapted
interactive digital media that engages the public, experts or non-experts,
in performing some aspect of biomedical research via crowdsourcing. To be
responsive to this FOA, each application is expected to pose a challenging
biomedical research problem and propose the development of engaging
interactive digital media that incorporates crowdsourcing as a fundamental
component of how the problem is solved. The biomedical research problem
should be amenable to one or more human computation approaches, as the
users must be active participants in the analysis and/or interpretation of
data, rather than acting primarily as data collectors or sources of data.

Awards are up to $200,000 in direct costs over 2 years. Letters of intent
are due May 3, and proposals are due June 4.

*4)* The pre-proposal virtual conference for the new *NASA Science Mission
Directorate Science Education Cooperative Agreement Notice* (described
below) is postponed until February 27 at 1pm. More information at
ow.ly/JlB6V <http://t.co/0W7qbpVIaA>

*5)* The videorecordings and slides from the *NSF STEM + Computing
Partnerships (STEM+C)* webinars are available at
http://hub.mspnet.org/index.cfm/webinars

---

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Christopher Andersen <andersen.18 at osu.edu>
wrote:

> *To be added to the stem-funding listserv or to manage your listserv
> subscription, visit *
> *http://lists.service.ohio-state.edu/mailman/listinfo/stem-funding
>
> a) *STEM + Computing Partnerships (STEM+C)* (
> http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=505006):
>
> The STEM+C Partnerships program seeks to significantly enhance the
> learning and teaching of science, technology, engineering, mathematics
> (STEM), and computing by K-12 students and teachers, through research on,
> and development of, courses, curriculum, course materials, pedagogies,
> instructional strategies, or models that innovatively integrate computing
> into one or more STEM disciplines, or integrate STEM content into the
> teaching and learning of computing. In addition, STEM+C seeks to build
> capacity in K-12 computing education with foundational research and focused
> teacher preparation.
>
> The program offers proposers two tracks: (1) Integration of Computing in
> STEM Education and (2) Computing Education Knowledge and Capacity Building.
> The second track is discipline-specific and may be expanded to include
> additional disciplines in future releases of the solicitation.
>
> The actual solicitation hasn't been posted yet, so I don't know the
> funding amount. Proposals are due April 14.

[image: The Ohio State University]
Christopher Andersen
Director
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Initiatives
186 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall, Columbus, OH 43210-1335 USA
andersen.18 at osu.edu
Looking for upcoming STEM outreach activities? Visit
http://stemoutreach.osu.edu
Education, diversity, & outreach resources for faculty & staff at
http://steminitiatives.osu.edu
Support STEM Initiatives through OSU Foundation fund 315007
<https://www.giveto.osu.edu/makeagift/?fund=315007>