[Somean] FA17 graduate seminar on Spanish language contact

Babel, Anna M. babel.6 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 10 13:45:46 EST 2017

Hi all, just wanted to pass this along in case anyone is interested/has students who are interested in this Fall class.  Apologies for multiple postings.  Please feel free to contact me with questions.

Anna

SPAN 8830: Graduate Seminar on Spanish Language Contact
FA17 Tuesdays 11:00-1:45

This course combines a theoretical approach to language contact with a survey of the Spanish language in contact throughout the world.  Four areas of focus introduce students to Spanish in (1) North America, (2) South and Central America, (3) Europe, and (4) Spanish-based creoles.  While each of these areas of focus will be covered in the course, the amount of time spent on each area may vary depending on the interests of students enrolled.  Likewise, the theoretical area of focus may veer towards particular subdisciplines (e.g. phonetics/phonology, morphology, syntax, sociolinguistics) depending on the interests of enrolled students.  A core group of concepts in language contact will be explored: mixed languages, code-switching vs. borrowing, structural convergence, bi- and multi-lingualism, creoles, language shift. Through our study of contact varieties of Spanish, students will learn to apply empirical data to ongoing debates in language contact.