[Somean] Complexity reading group (fwd)

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler kbck at ling.ohio-state.edu
Wed May 23 21:15:10 EDT 2012

In case anyone is interested here.

-K

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:42:24 -0400
From: Mark Moritz <mark.moritz at gmail.com>
To: complexity at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Cc: John Casterline <casterline.10 at sociology.osu.edu>,
     qualinq at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu, Jean Whipple <whipple.15 at osu.edu>,
Subject: Complexity reading group

Dear Faculty and Graduate students,

The Complexity in Human, Natural, and Engineered Systems Innovation
Group (https://complexity.osu.edu/) is organizing a reading group on
complexity science (including complex adaptive systems, coupled
natural-human systems, and socio-ecological systems) in Fall 2012.  We are
inviting faculty and graduate students already affiliated with the
Complexity Innovation Group, as well as those who might be interested in
joining the group, to participate.

We expect that the reading group will serve a variety of purposes, although
the direction that the reading group ultimately takes will depend on the
make-up and interests of those involved. Initially, the reading group will
be centered on readings and informally guided discussions.  Faculty and
students will have the opportunity to recommend readings and guide the
subsequent discussion. Participants will also be encouraged to present
and/or demonstrate how they are planning to, or have, applied complexity
science and systems thinking to their own research questions.  At this time,
the goals of the reading group are to:

- introduce participants to the science of complex systems, discuss what
complexity science is, how it is defined and described, and how it can
inform and shape research
- become familiar with the complexity science literature and the different
areas in which complexity science has, and is poised to, make a strong
contribution
- discuss how faculty and grad students have incorporated complexity science
into their research and/or evaluate whether and how complexity science can
be used to address particular research questions
- discuss various methodological approaches employed within a complexity
science framework
- learn about each others research interests and lay the foundation for
potential collaborative research projects.

We are currently gauging interest in the reading group to help us determine
how to best organize it.  We anticipate that we will meet bi-weekly for 1 –
1.5 hours. In late summer, we will contact those who have expressed interest
to compare schedules and find a suitable time to meet.

If you are interested, please contact Jeremy Brooks (brooks.719 at osu.edu) or
Mark Moritz (moritz.42 at osu.edu). In addition, you can also send one or two
suggestions for the reading list.
Please forward this message to people who may be interested in joining the
reading group.

Jeremy Brooks
Visiting Assistant Professor
School of Environment and Natural Resources
The Ohio State University

brooks.719 at osu.edu
http://go.osu.edu/JeremyBrooks

Mark Moritz