[Somean] question about inferences

E. Allyn Smith esmith at ling.osu.edu
Sat Sep 5 19:34:01 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Do any of you have a reference for whoever did studies showing how
inferences humans draw differ from inferences drawn on the basis of
logic (where the following is the "classic" example I show my classes)?

Example:  I tell you a story about a woman named Heather and how she
was involved in social justice agendas at Woodstock, etc.  Then I ask
you to estimate how likely you think she is to be a corporate lawyer
today.  Once you've done that, I ask you to estimate how likely you
think she is to be a corporate lawyer *and* an activist in her spare
time.  Logic says the second number should be smaller than the first
since you're adding a condition to the previous one and so if the
first is a set of all the worlds where Heather ends up a lawyer, those
where she's a lawyer and activist are a subset of the lawyer worlds.
Nevertheless, the vast majority of people make the second number
bigger than the first because they think that being an activist is
more in keeping with what you told them about Heather's past, etc.

Alternatively, do you know of anyone showing that people sometimes
don't recognize when some statements follow from other statements even
though they're technically an entailment relation?  I mean, I know
that as semanticists we'd just be frustrated talking to someone who
didn't compute entailments, but I feel like this sometimes happens in
"the real world" when I talk to random people... (note: i'm not
advocating giving up thinking about entailments just because some
people ignore some of them some of the time, I'm just curious)

Thanks,
Elizabeth