MCLC: Yin Shuping memoir

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 25 09:32:17 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
From: pjmooney <pjmooney at me.com>
Subject: Yin Shuping memoir

I’m sharing this with the permission of David Cowhig.

Paul

Yin Shuping's(殷叔平) memoir Qiu Wang (秋望), about his years in China's
Gulag,
may be pulped by the Hong Kong publisher if more can't be sold.  Under the
contract, the publisher will give the book remainders back to the author
after three years.  Otherwise they will be pulped.  The book can't be
officially brought back to China because it is banned -- Hong Kong
published books are subject to strict inspection before being allowed in
to the mainland)

2010年10月,1936年出生于成都、1957年被打为“右派”、现为孤寡老人的殷叔平老人,以
自己居住的房子向银行抵押贷款十万,加上手头二万,共计十二
万元,在香港自费出版近170万字的长篇小说《秋望》(三部曲)。

 Many people in the mainland would like to read  Qiu Wang but the book is
banned there. See forum discussion at
(http://bbs.tianya.cn/post-free-4058084-1.shtml) The Hong Kong market is
relatively small, and the book hasn't been strongly promoted by the
publisher (conceivably they are getting pressure not to, I am not sure).
Yin Shuping (aka Yin Ren) mortgaged his house to get the book published.

I translated a short excerpt (English after the original Chinese text at
http://tinyurl.com/yinshuping) The books can be purchased online at
http://www.greenfieldbookstore.com.hk/new_page_120.htm) I got to know Yin
Shuping well during my time in Chengdu. Many Chinese are writing memoirs
now, many can't be published since the regime would like the bad memories
of repression to die out. Yin wants Chinese to reflect upon their past to
help build a better China in the future.

Yin is in his mid seventies now.  I got to know him well when I lived in
Chengdu not far from his home.  Yin has had an amazing life.  At age 14 he
was a Xinhua correspondent in a DPRK uniform with the Chinese volunteers
reporting from the front lines.  Yin spent 22 years  in China's Gulag
until his rehabilitation in 1979.  In the 80s he returned to his job as a
Xinhua internal reference news correspondent until 1989 when he suffered
the consequences of speaking out during the May - June 1989 protests in
Chengdu.  He lost his job and his pension as a result.  Now he lives alone
in Chengdu.

Yin would make a great interview.  His books and experience are an
important reference point on Chinese modern history. Yin and his books
would be a good project for a student.  University libraries might want to
acquire the book while they can.

Yin Shuping's contact information is already online at the first URL above
so I will share it with you.  Yin doesn't speak English.

Yin Shuping's home phone  殷叔平家庭电话:028--84853645
Yin Shuping cell phone  殷叔平手机: 13618003731
Yin Shuping's email mailbox 殷叔平电子邮箱:yjz0428 at gmail.com

David Cowhig