MCLC: film adaptation course (9-12)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 20 09:34:20 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
From: sylin at aol.com <sylin at aol.com>
Subject: film adaptation course (9)

There's also <<春桃>> , original work by 许地山, directed by 凌子风, and
starting 姜
文  and 刘晓庆.

Sylvia

From: Peng Xu <xupeng at uchicago.edu>
Subject: film adaptation course (10)

Eileen Chang, "Love in a Fallen City" (1945, trans. 2006) / Ann Hui, dir.
Love in a Fallen City (1984)

Wang Shuo, “Wild Beast” (no translation?) / Jiang Wen, dir. In the Heat of
the Sun(1994)

Han Bangqing, The Sing-Song Girls of Shanghai(1892, trans. 2005) / Hou
Hsiao-hsien, dir. Flowers of Shanghai(1998)

“Lan Yu,” an internet novel (1998) / Stanley Kwan, dir. Lan Yu (2001)

The above are the films on my list that may not have been mentioned in the
conversations.

Xu Peng
Rutgers University

From: Liu, Xinmin <xinmin.liu at wsu.edu>
Subject: film adaptation course (11)

If given a freer hand in defining what text-to-screen adaptation means,
one could include another two made after 2000:  1) BALZAC AND THE LITTLE
CHINESE SEAMSTRESS (2003) by Dai Sijie (戴思杰), which was adapted from the
French novel  (with the same title and written in French) and shot by Dai
himself; 2) NUAN (2000) by Huo Jianqi (霍建启), which was adapted from Mo
Yan's novella entitled (A WHITE DOG AND A SWING, 白狗秋千架).   Both
introduced
significant changes in plot and characterization, but pretty much stayed
the course in delivering the messages.

Xinmin Liu
Washington State University

From: WEI Shiyu Louisa <smlouisa at cityu.edu.hk>
Subject: film adaptation course (12)

I think, as I did translate the script of Ang Lee's Lust, Caution and
compared it with Eileen Chang's original story, this is one of the best
adaptation I am aware of. Other interesting examples are Li Shaohong's
Blush, as there is a gender twist in the adaptation. Also, Zhang Yimou's
To Live from Yu Hua's novella is a good example.

Best,
Louisa