MCLC: Sandalwood Death review (13)

lklein lklein at hku.hk
Thu Jan 9 10:56:57 EST 2014

I'd like to add on to Nicky's point by saying that you don’t have to know the language of the original to comment intelligently on the translation. In fact, the "accuracy" of the translation is usually one of the least interesting things about it.

A translation is an interpretation and a performance. If you keep that in mind, you can offer a discussion of a translation's strengths and weaknesses in light of your own interpretation of the original for a popular or general interest publication, but you can also do so if you are unable to access the original. In fact, I believe that addressing translation intelligently and accessibly, and in such a way as to avoid the impression that all conversations about translation must regress into a list of quibbles over "howlers," is all the more important for general interest publications. I think it's the general public, more than scholars, who will benefit from a deeper and broader understanding of translation, though if scholars are not there to help provide that understanding it will be tough going for everyone.

Lucas