MCLC: human breast milk (8)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 22 08:05:45 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Sean Macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
Subject: human breast milk (8)

I enjoyed these posts very much. Reading any social phenomenon depends on
an array of factors. Of course, a criticism of A does not automatically
imply there is no criticism of B. For example, on a listserv centered
around culture A, a comment on one practice in A does not automatically
mean culture B is not criticized. It is really just a matter of context.

In the same way, a criticism of practice B does not imply a criticism of
practice A. I reckon the practices and traditions of hiring (or borrowing)
the services of a wet-nurse are about as ancient as nursing itself. And I
suppose there are many cultural and historical variations of these
practices. I am guessing there are hundreds of studies on nursing and the
practices (or industries?) of the wet-nurse. Perhaps it is just a matter
of belief, but from friends I have known who have nursed, it is a fairly
intense experience for the nursing mother and the child.

But I must admit (even including Ms Kardashian's skin care and those
athletes' training) even if is just an anecdote or rumor, I still find the
idea of keeping a wet-nurse "on tap" for my own perceived health needs,
that particular type of commodification, a fairly creepy prospect. No
matter where it occurs.

All the best,
Sean