MCLC: human breast milk (4,5,6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 19 10:10:16 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Maggie Clinton <mclinton01 at yahoo.com>
Subject: human breast milk (4)

Just a quick response--- capitalism has long since intervened in the
“intimate and essential” bond between mother and child. Here is a US story
on wetnursing as a career move
(http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/01/20/the-return-of-wet-nursing/), a
Harper’s piece on the ideology of breastfeeding
http://harpers.org/archive/2012/03/the-tyranny-of-breast-feeding/ , and a
beauty blog entry on Kim Kardashian’s rumored use of breastmilk as a skin
treatment

http://hudabeauty.com/2013/01/28/kim-kardashians-skin-cure-is-breast-milk/

The China story doesn’t seem particularly exceptional. Also, thank you,
Jackie, for pointing out how physically difficult it would be for adults
to nurse!

Maggie

From: Nicholas A Kaldis <nkaldis at binghamton.edu>
Subject: human breast milk (5)

While Jackie's posting in informative, adult breastfeeding appears to be
easily mastered. There's a long history of adult breastfeeding (see images
at the wikipedia link below), and at least one commonly-used category
termed "Adult Nursing Relationship" (I can't ascertain if it's been
recognized in the psychiatric literature).

I googled "can adults breastfeed?" and was guided to wikipedia's "erotic
lactation" page, which includes the images below. Despite its long history
in the west, many of the google URLs address the "outrageous" Chinese
practice of exploiting poor lactating women, while URLs referring to
American habits appear to mostly be coded as adult fetish sites or those
promoting natural medicinal benefits (bolstering weak immune systems,
etc.), both of which we can assume also involve some sort of money for
milk (or more critically, lactate for luchre) exchange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_lactation

Nick

From: Tishan Hsu <thsu at sarahlawrence.edu>
Subject: human breast milk (6)

I understand that human breast milk is currently bought  by athletes in
the  U.S.

Tishan