MCLC: swapping bodies in Chinese literature?

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 11 09:06:53 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Julie Starr <jes5zc at virginia.edu>
Subject: swapping bodies in Chinese literature?

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing fieldwork in Shanghai, examining how my
interlocutors (professional women) talk about and experience their
bodies in relation to self and gender (keeping in mind, of course,
that even suggesting a division between 'self' and 'body' brings with
it quite a bit of cultural baggage). I'm wondering if anyone could
recommend any Chinese literature where the characters swap bodies?
Perhaps in online fiction? In addition, I'd greatly appreciate any
suggestions of academic writing on this topic. Please contact me
directly at jes5zc at virginia.edu.

Many thanks and all best,

Julie