MCLC: junior high and senior high textbooks (3,4)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 10 09:43:22 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: HILL, MICHAEL <HILLMG at mailbox.sc.edu>
Subject: junior high and senior high textbooks (3)

A decent-sized collection of Republican-era textbooks can be found in the
library of Teacher's College at Columbia University. The last time I used
this collection, readers had to call in advance to arrange to see the
materials; a finding aid (really just a list of books) was also available
on request from the librarians.

Best wishes,

Michael Gibbs Hill

From: joe allen (jrallen at umn.edu)
Subject: junior high and senior high textbooks (4)

I am working on Chinese Middle School _guowen_ (national literature)
textbooks from the 1930s-40s, with some post 1949 considerations.  These
are hard to locate, but the best source for early materials is in Taiwan
at the "Textbook Research Center" (I think that is what it is called) that
is attached to the Guoli bianyiguan near Shida.  They have a very good
library of books and best of all a digital catalogue of most of the early
materials.  You have to be there to use it however.  It is a delightful
place to work.  For PRC materials, I have been told that certain
publishers have collection of textbooks, but i have not visited them.  I
did find some materials at the Shanghai Library.  I was looking only for
guowen texts.

I also know that Megan Greene of University of Kansas has worked on
history textbooks

joe allen