MCLC: Hong Kong literary history (1,2,3,4)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 22 10:18:33 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Li Guo <li.guo at usu.edu>
Subject: Hong Kong literary history (1)

[Thanks to all who sent in responses to my query. I'm posting them below
because I think they might be of interest to some on the list--Kirk Denton]

In a preliminary study I found some references relatedto this topic, and
also debates about the existent histories of Hong Kong literature. (would
appreciate feedback from colleagues who have done research about this or
worked with these resources). Some commonly circulated histories of Hong
Kong literature are:

謝常青《香港新文學簡史》暨南大學出版社,1990.
劉登翰.《香港文學史》香港:香港作家出版社,1997.
潘亞暾, 汪義生《香港文學史》廈門:鷺江出版社,1997.
王劍叢《香港文學史》南昌:百花洲文藝出版社,1995.

Some related resources include:

施建偉、應宇力、汪義生《香港文學簡史》同濟大學出版社,1999年10月.
黃繼持、盧瑋鑾、鄭樹森《追跡香港文學》Oxford, 1998
黃繼持, 盧瑋鑾, 鄭樹森《香港文學資料冊, 1948-1969》. 香港中文大學人文科學硏究
所香港文化硏究計劃, 1996 .
黃康顯《香港文學的發展與評價》香港:秋海棠文化企業出版社, 1996.

It seems that the four major literary histories have been criticized for
very limited representation of 香港舊體文學 Hong Kong traditional literature
from the late 19th century to 1919. Another controversy is about scholars'
disagreements about how to date the beginning of the history of of Hong
Kong literature. I found the following article quite helpful:

http://www.huayuqiao.org/LLM/LLM-1819/LLM181904.htm#_ftn2

Li Guo

From: Alvin Wong <alvinwongucla at gmail.com>
Subject: Hong Kong literary history (2)

Anything written by Xu Zidong  許子東 would be great introduction to Hong
Kong literature, especially in the contemporary period. I suspect you
probably come across him already. I am sure there will be lengthy
bibliography on Hong Kong literature in this book (香港短篇小說初探 / 許子東
著/香港 : 天地圖
書有限公司, 2005)  There is a series called 香港文學評論精選 also run by 天地
圖書. So you
may find some other books devoted to the subject.

Best,
Alvin

From: Jing Tsu <jing.tsu at yale.edu>
Subject: Hong Kong literary history (3)

Chen Guoqiu in HK is in the midst of compiling a multi-volume,
comprehensive HK literary history. We will all benefit when it's done.

Best,
Jing

From:Yee Lok TAM <12466387 at life.hkbu.edu.hk>
Subject: Hong Kong literary history (4)

I am afraid there is no a single book that is significant and
comprehensive enough on Hong Kong literary history. Michael Ingham has a
book called "Hong Kong: A Cultural and Literary History". However, the
book is more on cultural side than on literary side.

Other books about HK literary history are written in Chinese. Around the
time of the handover of Hong Kong, many mainland scholars attempted to
compose books on Hong Kong literary history and argued that Hong Kong
literary history was part of Chinese literary history. Readers sense find
a very strong "political mission" the perspectives these scholars applied,
that is to incorporate Hong Kong literary history into the larger Chinese
literary. One example is Liu Denghan's "Hong Kong Literary History".
However, the book are attacked by scholars that many details are
inaccurate. Some local scholars also attempt to write the history from
their perspective. I think to most comprehensive one is the anthology
called "香港文學@文化研究" (Hong Kong Literature @ Cultural Studies) edited
by
Esther M. K. Cheung and Chu Yiu-Wai.

Hope this information help.