MCLC: Mo Yan wins Nobel lit prize (3,4,5,6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 13 09:52:51 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Judith M. Amory <jmamory at post.harvard.edu>
Subject: Mo Yan wins Nobel lit prize (3)

I was a bit surprised that the New York Times article, reciting the Nobel
committee's history of giving the prize to dissidents, did not mention a
track record of defusing government hostility by giving a reparations
prize to a government loyalist. Case in point: Mikhail Sholokhov's 1965
Nobel, perhaps to atone for Boris Pasternak's 1958 award. Of course Mo Yan
is not a party triumphalist as Sholokhov was. But I do detect some of the
same motivation.

Judy Amory