MCLC: Virtual Tango

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 30 10:29:13 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: yubao li (yubaoli at hotmail.com)
Subject: Virtual Tango

I used to hear that that many a single Chinese guy in the west go to
China, with the help of family, relatives, and friends, find a girlfriend,
and later marry her, bring her back to the west. Oftentimes, I sneered at
a story like that. (I don't think it's necessary for me to give the
reasons for being rather cynical about this scenario.) However, after my
divorce, with a couple of years of dating experience in the United States
under belt, I, very slowly, and painfully, am starting to get it. There
are insurmountable obstacles for a Chinese guy to date a woman out of his
own race. Race is the first thing, then religion, education, dating
culture, language barrier, attitudes and approaches towards dating... All
those things lumped together, would confuse, frustrate any oriental sage.

The story "Virtual Tango" reflects a Chinese guy's defiance of all these
odds. He blissfully ignores them all, instead, he impresses the woman he
fancies with his i! nternal qualities, his education, his insight in life,
his struggle, his upbringing, his witty humor, his careful analyzing of
text (her email messages), so on and so forth, and wins her over.

It's fiction of course, but it has its deep roots in real life experience.
List members may find this story an interesting read. The electronic copy
is on Amazon, and during this weekend from Friday to Sunday, it is free
for downloading. Please feel free to cross post it if you like. And
anybody has an academic interest in interracial dating and wants my two
cents worth input, please contact me off list.

Yubao