MCLC: Tiananmen in History and Memory

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 20 09:47:12 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: guo jian (guoj at uww.edu)
Subject: Tiananmen in History and Memory

Tiananmen In History And Memory
Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 1p.m. - 5 p.m.
Location: Harvard Yenching Auditorium
Website: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~tiananmen/
<http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Etiananmen/>

A Symposium Organized by students in Harvard Freshman Seminar 46t &
Chinese History Seminar 125.
With William Kirby, Sandra Naddaff, Michael Szonyi, Merle Goldman, Paul
Cohen, Eugene Wang, Rowena He, and Roderick MacFarquhar
15 student presentations

Co-sponsors:
Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations, Fairbank Center for
Chinese Studies, Freshman Seminar Office, Harvard University

Freshman Seminar 47t class 2011, Chinese History 125 class 2011, Harvard
University

Website: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~tiananmen/
<http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Etiananmen/>

Who We Are

We are a group of students at Harvard College hailing from different
regions of the world and embodying a wide range of ethnic and cultural
backgrounds and perspectives.

Like our forerunners from 2011, we were not yet born in 1989 but were
brought together by a freshman seminar and Chinese History seminar,
³Rebels with a Cause: Tiananmen in History and Memory² taught by Dr.
Rowena He. During our short time together, we studied the primary source
materials of the Tiananmen Movement, heard personal accounts of student
leaders themselves, and explored the Tiananmen archives of the
Harvard­Yenching Library. We imagined ourselves into the minds of the
authorities and civilians, touched the protesters¹ blood-stained clothes,
and re-enacted the night of June 3rd, trying to put ourselves in the shoes
of the protesters who then were around the same age as we are now. We
debated and questioned everything along the way.

This symposium is our way of presenting our studies. There have been
hundreds of Tiananmen conferences in the past 23 years all over the world,
but we are excited that we as undergraduate students are putting together
an event on the 1989 Tiananmen Movement. It is our hope that through this
forum we may give a voice to those who were silenced and that this voice
will help keep the memory of June 4th alive. Our learning experience shows
that with free access to information and free inquiry, we as young people
can indeed explore history and make up our own minds about truths.

We would like to join the effort of a greater union of individuals across
continents, language barriers, and political ideologies in building a
world of freedom, peace, and democracy for all people.

Join us!