MCLC: Taiwan in Theory--cfp reminder

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Dec 17 10:00:12 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Laura Jo-Han Wen <laurah0603 at gmail.com>
Subject: Taiwan in Theory--cfp reminder

CALL FOR PAPERS‹Reminder

Taiwan in Theory: North American Taiwan Studies Association (NATSA) 19th
Annual Conference

Submission deadline: January 4th, 2013
Notification of acceptance by:  February 15th, 2013
Full papers due: May 13th, 2013

Since its initiation in 1994, the North American Taiwan Studies
Association (NATSA) has developed into the largest academic forum focusing
on Taiwan Studies in North America. This year, more than 20 senior
scholars from various disciplines will join us along with younger scholars
from around the world to discuss the possibilities of ³Taiwan Studies² in
challenging theoretical and disciplinary boundaries.

The North American Taiwan Studies Association (NATSA) invites scholars,
particularly young scholars, to submit proposals for our upcoming annual
conference on June 21-22, at the University of California, Santa Barbara
with the co-assistance of the Center for Taiwan Studies at UCSB and of the
Institute of Taiwan History at Academia Sinica. The theme of this year¹s
conference is ³Taiwan in Theory,² encouraging participants to think about
Taiwan not only as a place in which theory is simply applied, but a place
where new theories and perspectives about the world may in fact be
generated. While the rise and opening of China has diminished Taiwan¹s
former status as an empirical proxy for things ³Chinese,² leaving scholars
and residents of Taiwan alike wondering what Taiwan itself is and what
Taiwan, in theory, might be, scholars have increasingly researched Taiwan
as a worthy object of study in its own right and as such have grappled to
define the outlines and direction of a viable Taiwan Studies. Yet, for it
to remain a viable academic force in a world of currently diminishing
funding for Area Studies, Taiwan Studies must also speak with a distinct
voice to the wide variety of global debates and discussions currently
raging within traditional disciplinary formations. This is something that
Taiwan has the potential to excel at. Scholars whose research is based in
whole or in part in Taiwan have the ability to not simply comment on these
debates, but to contribute and, perhaps to shape their directions. The
distinctive voice will not be found in writing ³theory² simply for the
sake of theory, but rather theory that emerges from a grounded
understanding of the ways that Taiwanese people¹s social, cultural,
economic, and political lives assert their own concerns and speak back to
those prevalent in other academic disciplines. If Taiwan and its
transformations have historically provided fertile ³raw data² for testing
theories of economic, social and political development based primarily on
Western paradigms and concerns; we suggest, following several speakers
from the 2012 conference, that Taiwan¹s potential lies in being a ³method²
or ³modality² that not only contributes to theory, but also, challenging
the implicit power relationships partitioning the globe into spaces of
theory creation and spaces of data collection, changes how we think about
theory. How does Taiwan¹s distinctive international situation challenge
how we think about sovereignty, international law, colonialism and empire,
security and new social/political movements? Collapsing what we mean by
theory versus practice, what emerging social forms, styles of governance,
legal practices, forms of affect, and new ways of thinking are developing
within Taiwan itself? How can research in Taiwan contribute (and how is it
already contributing) to both answering and asking these new questions as
they appear in anthropology, history, legal studies, visual culture,
comparative literature, sociology, and political science?

Please see our Suggested Topics and Questions here:

http://www.na-tsa.org/new/2013-natsa-conference/call-for-papers.html

Check out our current list of Invited Scholars here:

http://www.na-tsa.org/new/2013-natsa-conference/invited-scholars.html

Submission Rules:

http://www.na-tsa.org/new/2013-natsa-conference/abstract-submission-rules.h
tml