MCLC: Bo Guagua's statement to Harvard Crimson

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 25 08:17:02 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: bernice tang (bernicetang at yahoo.fr)
Subject: Bo Guagua's statement to Harvard Crimson

Source: The Crimson (4/24/12):
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/4/24/bo-guagua-statement-to-the-crim
son/

Harvard Kennedy School student Bo Guagua corresponded with Crimson
staff writers Hana N. Rouse and Justin C. Worland on Tuesday via his
Kennedy School and Google email accounts and sent The Crimson a
statement, which is published verbatim below.

To Whom It May Concern:

Recently, there has been increasing attention from the press on my
private life. As a result of these speculations, I feel responsible to
the public to provide an account of the facts. I am deeply concerned
about the events surrounding my family, but I have no comments to make
regarding the ongoing investigation. It is impossible to address all
of the rumours and allegations about myself, but I will state the
facts regarding some of the most pertinent claims.

Facts:

€ My tuition and living expenses at Harrow School, University of
Oxford and Harvard University were funded exclusively by two
sources‹scholarships earned independently, and my mother¹s generosity
from the savings she earned from her years as a successful lawyer and
writer.

€ My examination records have been solid throughout my schooling
years. In the British public examination of GCSEs, which I completed
at the age of 16, I achieved 11 ŒA Stars,¹ whereas the necessary
requirement is no more than 9 and ŒA¹ grades are considered good
marks. I also earned straight A¹s for both AS level and A-level
Examinations at the ages of 17 and 18, respectively.

€ At the University of Oxford, I studied Politics, Philosophy and
Economics. I was a Œtripartite¹, being enrolled in all three subjects,
rather than dropping one in the second year, as is the norm. Upon
graduating, I earned a 2:1 degree (Second Class, First Honours)
overall and achieved a First in Philosophy.

€ During my time at Oxford, it is true that I participated in ŒBops,¹
a type of common Oxford social event, many of which are themed. These
events are a regular feature of social life at Oxford and most
students take part in these college-wide activities.

€ Like many other university students, I also devoted time and energy
to extra-curricular activities. For example, I debated in the Oxford
Union and served as president of the Politics, Philosophy and
Economics Society. These extra-curricular activities enabled me to
broaden my perspective, serve the student community, and experience
all that Oxford has to offer. I am proud to have been the first
mainland Chinese student to be elected to the Standing Committee of
the Oxford Union, and I truly value the close friendships I formed
with my fellow students.

€ I have never lent my name to nor participated in any for-profit
business or venture, in China or abroad. However, I have been involved
in developing a not-for-profit social networking website in China, the
aim of which is to assist NGOs in raising awareness of their social
missions and connecting with volunteers. This initiative has been
based out of the Harvard Innovation Lab, with the participation of
fellow students and friends. The project remains in the development
stage and is not live.

€ I have never driven a Ferrari. I have also not been to the U.S.
Embassy in Beijing since 1998 (when I obtained a previous U.S. Visa),
nor have I ever been to the U.S. Ambassador¹s Residence in China. Even
my student Visas were issued by the U.S. Consulate in Chengdu, which
is closer to my home of five years.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank my teachers,
friends and classmates for their support during this difficult time.
In particular, I wish to thank the Harvard Kennedy School for the
support it has extended to me as a member of its community. I
understand that at the present, the public interest in my life has not
diminished. However, I wholeheartedly request that members of the
press kindly refrain from intruding into the lives of my teachers,
friends and classmates.

Faithfully,

Guagua Bo