MCLC: Fang Lizhi dies (4)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 10 08:57:13 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Bill Goldman (billgoldman at mac.com)
Subject: Fang Lizhi dies (4)

Xun LIU wrote: "I am not sure what to make of what Bill referred to as
USTB (University of Science and Technology in Beijing). If he has 北京理工大
学
in mind,…" If anyone would like to go here:

http://www.ustb.edu.cn/

they will find USTB's home page. The Chinese is not 北京理工大学 - I cannot
copy
and paste the characters from the web-page, but "USTB" is what everyone
who works and studies there calls it, unless they use the Mandarin name
(of which "USTB" is a literal translation). It is situated at 30, Xueyuan
Lu, as I remember, Haidian Qu, less than half an hour's walk from Beida
and even less from Tsinghua, up Chengfu Lu. It's in the Chinese
government's Top 50 universities. It's pretty well-known and there is no
mystery about it, as far as I'm aware.

If you go here:

http://en.ustb.edu.cn/AboutUSTB/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=254

you will find in very easily comprehensible diagram form the history of
USTB, which was so named in 1988 and placed under the direct supervision
of the Ministry of Education since 1998. This whole page is in English,
and is part of a site whose address is http://en.ustb.edu.cn/, and whose
first page concerns chiefly the "Third USTB-Oxford Materials Symposium",
held on September 26th (presumably 2011).

My 5 yuan's worth:)

Bill