MCLC: Pathlight: New Chinese Writing

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 30 09:48:21 EST 2011

MCLC LIST
From: Alice Xin Liu <alicexinliu at gmail.com>
Subject: Pathlight: New Chinese Writing

Dear list members, I just wanted to alert  everyone to the presence of a
new Chinese literary magazine - in English. This is the first issue of
Pathlight: New Chinese Writing, the English edition of People's
Literature's magazine (人民文学). If people are interested in hearing more,
please contact me off-list.   Copies are on sale at the Beijing Bookworm,
but not in the US or other foreign countries. There are plans for digital
downloads in the future, though!

Alice

Source: Paper Republic (11/29/11):
http://paper-republic.org/alicexinliu/pathlight-new-chinese-writing-4/

Pathlight: New Chinese Writing
By Alice Xin Liu <http://paper-republic.org/alicexinliu/>

The English edition of People's Literature, the oldest magazine in new
China, is out! We've named it Pathlight: New Chinese Writing, and it can
be purchased on Amazon.cn
<http://www.amazon.cn/PATHLIGHT%E8%B7%AF%E7%81%AF-Zhang-Wei/dp/B006AZ24DK/r
ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322542561&sr=8-1>, from Hong Kong and elsewhere,
too.

This is China's first literary magazine edited by a bunch of foreigners,
and it has cultural significance, too. Officially, this is how Xinhua
<http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-11/24/c_131267346.htm>
presented it.
The editor-in-chief of the Chinese edition is Li Jingze (李敬泽) and his
assistant is the writer Qiu Huadong (邱华栋), as many know. On the English
side, myself, Eric Abrahamsen, Canaan Morse, Brendan O'Kane, and Joel
Martinsen have all edited, and the first edition features translations
from Brian Holton, Martin Merz, and Jane Weizhen Pan, Andrea Lingenfelter,
Denis Mair, Lucas Klein, Fiona Sze-Lorrain etc.

There are excerpts from longer works (this issue features the Mao Dun
Literature Prize, given in September), short stories from avant-garde
writers like Xiang Zuotie (向祚铁, translated by Brendan O'Kane) and more
traditional storytellers like the female novelist Di An (笛安, translated by
yours truly). I would also recommend Qi Ge (七格), a writer not exactly new
but like many others in our magazine, never-before translated. His story,
appearing in Pathlight is called "The Sugar Blower," translated by Joel
Martinsen.

There is even an "Editor's Pick" story, chosen in theory but really
submitted by Li Er <http://paper-republic.org/authors/li-er/> (李洱),
containing a contentious issue - a line of racism, justly dealt with by
the editorial team - which will be of interest to enthusiasts of Chinese
literature!

In any event, our Chinese partners are holding a forum next week, and if
there are any journalists in Beijing specializing in literature we'd like
to hear from you!

Translators of literature, the next issue is coming up so please feel free
to contact me alicexinliu at gmail.com if you're interested in being a part
of this!