MCLC: new system info

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 15 09:53:25 EST 2011

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: new system info

As I mentioned in an earlier "test" email, the list is migrating to a new
system. In fact, for the past three days, I have been using the new
system. Everything should function as usual, though there will be a few
changes. First, and most important, the address to which you submit
postings to the list has changed from

Mclc at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

Mclc at lists.service.ohio-state.edu

You should still also be able to submit things to the list by simply
"replying" to any new list post. Remember, all "replies" come back to the
moderator. To successfully submit a post, you must be using the email
address with which you are subscribed to the list. If you have trouble
submitting a post, you can always send things to me directly at
denton.2 at osu.edu, but please indicate that the message is for the list.

Information about the list, how to subscribe, post messages, manage your
account, etc, can be found at:

The best new feature of this system is that there is an online archive of
postings. I'm working on seeing whether old postings can be migrated into
the new system archive, but it doesn't look promising at this point. As it
is now, the archive will only include things posted in the new system.
Below is the archive address, but you can also link to it from the MCLC
LIST info page (the link above):

https://lists.service.ohio-state.edu/pipermail/mclc/

I initially set the archive to "daily," but have now changed it to the
"monthly" setting. This means that a folder will be created for each
month. The archive is not "searchable" per se, but you can view the
postings in a variety of ways, which helps in trying to find things.

There is an option to receive list posts in daily digest form. The default
setting for all subscribers is to receive individual posts, so if you want
to change to "digest," I'll have to do it for you. However, I recommend
the individual post setting. I suggest, if you don't already do so, to
create an "MCLC LIST" folder in your email program and to store all posts
there. You can then search the folder by "subject" if you want to find an
old post. Also, the individual post setting makes it easier for me to
organize the "threads" (I.e., when you "reply" to a particular post, I
know that your response is part of that thread).

Sorry for the long message. Let's hope this transition goes smoothly.

Best, Kirk