MCLC: portrait of an emerging China

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 30 10:28:16 EST 2011

MCLC LIST
From: Bender, Mark <bender.4 at osu.edu>
Subject: portrait of an emerging China

List members might be interested in the special issue of the e-journal
eRenlei: Portrait of an Emerging China.

<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=b
log&id=711&Itemid=363&lang=en>

Below is a description of the contents taken from the eRenlei newsletter.

Mark

The narrative of China's emergence that has predominated in the Western
press over the last decade is one of a racially homogenous ecomonic
superpower in ascendence; the West seems to characterize China simply in
terms of its potential as a huge untapped market to be exploited or as a
threat to Western cultural and economic hegemony. This month, eRenlai
hopes to offer an alternative perspective on China's emergence, wherein
the reality of China's racial and spiritual heterogenity and multicultural
legacy can be borne witness to on a level more fundamental than that of
Nationalism. Away from the rhetoric and scare-mongering of politics and
economics is the space where one can experience China on a more personal
and experiential plane. eRenlai has picked a variety of stories that span
the last decade which paint an alternative picture of China in its period
of rapid development, focusing primarily on rural life. First we get a
snapshot into the lives of the nomadic people

<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4890%3
Ashiqu-the-birthplace-of-king-gesar&catid=711%3Afocus-a-portrait-of-china-e
merging&Itemid=363&lang=en>

who now populate the birthplace of the legendary Tibetan King, King Gesar,
and the remnants of the Barge Wall and the Funeral city which once stood
in Shiqu. Then we  move on to Shangri-La to experience the growth of
eco-tourism in the Tibetan

<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4878%3
Anapa&catid=711%3Afocus-a-portrait-of-china-emerging&Itemid=363&lang=en>

village of Napa. In Chengdu we hear of the hardships experienced by Yi
migrant workers,

<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4885%3
Ayi-migrant-workers-in-china&catid=711%3Afocus-a-portrait-of-china-emerging
&Itemid=363&lang=en>

faced with discrimination and being taken advantage of by employers. We
then arrive in Yongren County to bear witness to the more colourful side
of the Yi people, with their annual fashion show.

<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4888%3
Afashion-show-in-the-mountains-of-yunnan&catid=711%3Afocus-a-portrait-of-ch
ina-emerging&Itemid=363&lang=en>

Then on to Yangjuan village to monitor the progress of the school built
there in 2000, with two different perspecitves on the village and the
project, one from the Summer of 2006 by Liang Zhun and the second from
Father Durand in Winter 2010. We also take a look at China's Muslim Hui
people as they celebrate the feast of the birth of the prophet Muhammad

<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4883%3
Ahui&catid=711%3Afocus-a-portrait-of-china-emerging&Itemid=363&lang=en>

in Pi County and attend the rebuilding of the Tibetan Buddhist Kangwu
Temple in Muli County.

<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4889%3
Amuli-an-ethnic-frontier&catid=711%3Afocus-a-portrait-of-china-emerging&Ite
mid=363&lang=en>.

We also discover how the previously thought to be defunct Tibetan Buddhist
school of Jonang,
<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3050%3
Afilippo-brambila&catid=711%3Afocus-a-portrait-of-china-emerging&Itemid=363
&lang=en>

turns out to be very much alive in Dzamthang.

From Conor and all the eRenlai team
www.erenlai.com
<http://www.erenlai.com/float:%20left;%20margin-right:%203px;>

Taipei Ricci Institute|eRenlai Magazine|Renlai Monthly
Hsin-hai Road, Section 1, No.22, 3fl.Taipei 100, TAIWAN
Tel: (886 2) 2368 9968 Fax: (886 2) 2365 4508
email: editor at erenlai.com

 <http://www.youtube.com/user/eRENLAI>
 <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=209747890553>
 <http://twitter.com/eRenlai>
 <http://www.erenlai.com/store/>

If you do not wish to receive our English newsletter anymore, click
unsubscribe
<http://www.erenlai.com/index.php?option=com_acymailing&gtask=user&task=uns
ub&mailid=179&subid=1055&key=9943b67faa9afef2b75301754e9223d8>

​