MCLC: Liao Yiwu poem recital (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 27 09:18:30 EST 2011

MCLC LIST
From: michael day <mday at nu.edu>
Subject: Liao Yiwu poem recital (1)

FYI all: The poem "Slaughter" has never been in video form. The original
form of the cassette-tape recording can be found in the online repository
at DACHS, Leiden.

I'm afraid much of this apparent mis-information as regards LYW is due to
a series of poorly researched articles and interviews that have appeared
on the web in recent months. I guess everybody wants to jump into Liao
Yiwu's boat now... and I think it's safe to assume he can very easily tell
who is a serious journalist/intellectual/etc by the amount of research etc
that's been done beforehand. In other words: He is a very happy man when
he has the luxury of not repeating stories of self ceaselessly, and/or
correcting the preformed ideas of others. Do people "not" do the research
deliberately, I wonder, in some bizarre attempt to "prove" that he's
"making up" things as he goes??? Or is it just basic ignorance and
laziness? Or are some of these people actually "interrogating" him? I
can't think of a better way to make LYW's sojourn among us "out here" as
brief  as possible than this ... or a way to make him feel more "at home"
away from home than to actually suck it up and do a little research...
which is never going to happen if he's seen as somebody's meal ticket or a
line on a ceaselessly bloating CV.

(Sorry, Rudolf... this rant is not directed at you specifically... I'm
just very tired of all this, and you are a "victim" of it apparently...
and if I am "tired" of it, imagine what LYW must feel... not that he gives
a rat's a... , actually. :)

END RANT.

Michael M. Day