MCLC: materials on contemporary Chinese art (6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 2 09:19:58 EST 2011

MCLC LIST
From: Wang Yang <wang.1009 at osu.edu>
Subject: materials on contemporary Chinese art (6)

Thanks to Andrew for starting this discussion. I've certainly learned
about a few more sources from the replies. You're right that there still
lacks a strong critical link between contemporary art developments and
traditional art. There are scholars working on certain aspects of this
gap, and I know there are some publications and endeavors currently in
progress. Perhaps others can directly comment on this.

I'll add to to this strand a few sources that others haven't yet
mentioned:

Richard King, ed., Art in Turmoil: The Chinese Cultural Revolution,
1966-76, UBC, 2010.
-An edited volume on the art of the Cultural Revolution. A review by
Stefan Landsberger can be found on The China Beat
<http://www.thechinabeat.org/?p=3462>

Sinopop.org <http://sinopop.org/>
-Bilingual blog with critical reviews on notable events in the
contemporary Chinese art world. Also a good source for well-selected links
to other web sources.

Artron.net <http://artron.net/>
-Comprehensive listing site for all kinds of exhibition news, reviews, and
auctions.

Artintern.com <http://artintern.com/>
-Similar to Artron but without the emphasis on auction news.

Hi Art magazine <http://www.hiart.cn/>
-The most popular among dozens of contemporary Chinese art magazines in
publication. Thick with ads and lighthearted in tone.

Red Box Reviews <http://review.redboxstudio.cn/>
-English-language site for news, listings, and pithy reviews.

LEAP magazine <http://leapleapleap.com/>
-Bilingual print magazine with some web content. I'm not too familiar with
this fairly new publication yet, but it seems like each issue centers
around a historical or critical theme.

Lastly, I would like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my brand
new blog <http://yangwangart.wordpress.com/> on modern and contemporary
Chinese art as seen from outside of the major cities. I can't promise that
it will pertain to anyone's interest, but since my effort is in its
infancy, I'm open to suggestions for its development.

Best,
Yang