[KineJapan] New Book: Media Convergence in Japan

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Tue Jun 21 08:50:45 EDT 2016

Dear Bruce,

Thanks for the message.

Convergence is the third book published under the Kinema Club imprimatur
(that's Kinema Club, which you could think of as the home of KineJapan).
The first book was a festschrift for Makino Mamoru that Aaron and I
self-published called *In Praise of Film Studies*. I guess you can't really
use the word "imprimatur" for that book, because we didn't ask anybody's
permission; we just did it.

The second book was quite different. For various reasons, I chose to
self-publish *The Pink Book.* An editorial collective had just been formed
to revive the long-neglected Kinema Club website and make it a more serious
thing. The collective includes:

Aaron Gerow  <http://kinemaclub.org/aaron-gerow>(Kinema Club editor;
Professor, Yale University)
Abé Mark Nornes <http://kinemaclub.org/ab-mark-nornes>  (Kinema Club
editor; Professor, University of Michigan)
Alexander Zahlten <http://kinemaclub.org/alexander-zahlten>  (Assistant
Professor, Harvard University)
Chika Kinoshita <http://kinemaclub.org/chika-kinoshita>  (Associate
Professor, Tokyo Metropolitan University)
Diane Lewis <http://kinemaclub.org/diane-lewis>  (Assistant Professor,
Washington University in St. Louis)
Eija Niskanen <http://kinemaclub.org/eija-niskanen>  (Programming director,
Helsinki Cine Aasia)
Jasper Sharp <http://kinemaclub.org/jasper-sharp>  (Independent researcher)
Michael Raine <http://kinemaclub.org/michael-raine>  (Assistant Professor,
Western University, Canada)
Naoki Yamamoto <http://kinemaclub.org/naoki-yamamoto>  (Assistant
Professor, University of California, Santa Barbara)
Roger Macy <http://kinemaclub.org/roger-macy>  (Independent researcher)
Roland Domenig <http://kinemaclub.org/roland-domenig>  (Associate
Professor, Meiji Gakuin University)
Ryan Cook <http://kinemaclub.org/ryan-cook>  (Postdoctoral Fellow,
Reischauer Institute for Japanese Studies, Harvard)

I approached the collective with *The Pink Book, *and they put it through a
rigorous, blind peer review. About the time it came out, I learned of Jason
and Patrick's project. They were thinking of self-publishing the book, and
I told them to consider submitting it to the KC Editorial Collective. They
did, and it also was subjected to an impressively rigorous peer review. It
definitely made it a better book.

So the answer to your question is, yes, we are definitely interested in
more projects. But there are at least two things anyone should consider.
First, anyone needing the publication for tenure and promotion should go
elsewhere. Our fields are still skeptical about untying other than
university presses. Second, while KC has the resources to perform serious
peer review, and the collective votes on publishing or not, we do not have
the resources to produce the book. Serving/archiving it is no problem. But
page design and markup and copyediting are the job of the authors.

Kinema Club is carefully testing the waters of the academic publishing
scene. It's clear that this kind of venue is going to be increasingly
important in the future. So far, I think we've done a good job. Actually,
by the numbers we're doing spectacularly. *The Pink Book *was uploaded
exactly two years ago, and it has had 6028 downloads.

Markus

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via
KineJapan <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Markus and Aaron,
>
> It was a real delight to read the introduction to this book and see what
> you have done with KineJapan and peer review outside the normal publishing
> system. I wonder if you are planning for that to be a regular function of
> KineJapan for like-minded projects?
>
> All best,
>
> Bruce

*Markus Nornes*
Professor of Asian Cinema, Department of Screen Arts and Cultures
Professor of Asian Cinema, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
Professor, School of Art & Design

*Department of Screen Arts and Cultures*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*