[Intl_DxMedPhys] Help aging an x-ray machine
Bjarnason, Thor [IH]
Thor.Bjarnason at interiorhealth.ca
Tue Sep 15 15:46:19 EDT 2026
Hi All,
I got a few responses here and I appreciate everyone who got back to me. I thought I would send an update. It is a 1940s vintage GE D3 “Mobile Shockproof x-ray unit”. The earliest date written in the manual by someone is 1945 and the Technique Chart dates from 1937. Lumbar Spine exposure 30s. Stomach 1.5 s. Fetus (!!) 5s.
I got back to the site and hauled this thing to my office and took the tube out today. The machine still has the manual! The tube was much smaller than I was expecting. :)
Kind regards,
Thor Bjarnason, PhD, PEng, FCCPM
Medical Physicist
Interior Health, Kelowna, BC
Office: (250) 980-6157 | Mobile: (250) 826-0722
Thor.Bjarnason at interiorhealth.ca
From: Intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list <intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list-bounces at lists.osu.edu> On Behalf Of Bjarnason, Thor [IH] via Intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list
Sent: 05 May 2026 6:35 PM
To: International Diagnostic Medical Physics List <intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list at lists.osu.edu>
Subject: [Intl_DxMedPhys] Help aging an x-ray machine
Caution: This email originated from outside of Interior Health. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender, their email address, and know the content is safe. If you suspect this is a phishing or fraudulent email please forward it to spam at interiorhealth.ca<mailto:spam at interiorhealth.ca>.
Hi All, Anyone by chance know the age of this x-ray machine? It is a GE. There is a Operation and Maintenance manual beside the unit and I could only leaf through it briefly. That was for a “Model D3 Mobile Shockproof X-ray unit”.
Hi All,
Anyone by chance know the age of this x-ray machine? It is a GE.
There is a Operation and Maintenance manual beside the unit and I could only leaf through it briefly. That was for a “Model D3 Mobile Shockproof X-ray unit”. But that might not be this machine. There was also an old looking generator nearby (base in lower frame) with the cable cut and no tube in site.
I did a quick internet search but am on the road testing equipment this week so gave up pretty quickly.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01DD4510.01BEFCF0]
Kind regards,
Thor Bjarnason, PhD, PEng, FCCPM
Senior Medical Physicist, Medical Imaging, Interior Health;
Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Radiology, University of British Columbia;
Adjunct Professor, Department of Physics, University of British Columbia Okanagan
2268 Pandosy Street, Kelowna, BC V1Y 1T2
S1-041C, Strathcona Building, Kelowna General Hospital
Office: (250) 980-6157 | Mobile: (250) 826-0722
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260915/2462e655/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 285165 bytes
Desc: image001.jpg
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260915/2462e655/attachment.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_5464.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 3055046 bytes
Desc: IMG_5464.jpg
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260915/2462e655/attachment-0001.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_4395.JPEG
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 791365 bytes
Desc: IMG_4395.JPEG
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260915/2462e655/attachment.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_4397.JPEG
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 911543 bytes
Desc: IMG_4397.JPEG
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260915/2462e655/attachment-0001.obj>
More information about the Intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list
mailing list