[Intl_DxMedPhys] Pluvicto Patient Waste Storage Timeframe

Jeff Moirano jmoirano at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 21:00:44 EDT 2026


I do agree that having patients collect and decay waste at home is
counterproductive, especially for Lu-177 therapies.  We recommend they put
it all directly in the normal trash.

SNMMI, ACNM, ACR, and AAPM released a joint position statement that states
the same.

Jeff



On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 1:20 PM Shane McCotter via
Intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list <intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> All, I am interested in your thoughts regarding patient instructions for
> at-home waste storage before disposal. I have recommended patients collect
> items (pads, diapers, etc. ) for 5 days and store for 70 days before
> disposal, however, one of
> All,
>
> I am interested in your thoughts regarding patient instructions for
> at-home waste storage before disposal.  I have recommended patients collect
> items (pads, diapers, etc.) for 5 days and store for 70 days before
> disposal, however, one of our AU's is requesting we remove the storage
> requirement allow patients to dispose of all materials without decay based
> on these studies (Link 1
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://jnm.snmjournals.org/content/64/10/1567__;!!KGKeukY!1AP1MpV5dSTwsgzAipPNSxW2zEFl5sw_yqZ2skGAqT1NFshsAMKGAjzkj7ufTPmG3lI5wa4IXl-WOO0efXaFYKbF29ysFbouyLBIGTA$> &
> Link 2
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ovid.com/jnls/health-physics/fulltext/00004032-200203000-00009*radioactivity-appearing-at-landfills-in-household-trash-of__;fg!!KGKeukY!1AP1MpV5dSTwsgzAipPNSxW2zEFl5sw_yqZ2skGAqT1NFshsAMKGAjzkj7ufTPmG3lI5wa4IXl-WOO0efXaFYKbF29ysFbou5xnoIrg$>)
> and discussions they have had with other AU's in NRC and agreement states.
>
> I have reached out to a few other RSO's and institutions, and I have
> received answers to store items ranging from a few days to 70 days, and I
> am hoping to get a more definitive answer from the list.
>
> Thank you,
>
> *Shane McCotter, M.S., DABMP    *
>
> *Medical Physicist*
>
> (218) 349-3548
>
> shane at rpcphysics.com
>
> *www.rpcphysics.com*
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.rpcphysics.com/__;!!KGKeukY!1AP1MpV5dSTwsgzAipPNSxW2zEFl5sw_yqZ2skGAqT1NFshsAMKGAjzkj7ufTPmG3lI5wa4IXl-WOO0efXaFYKbF29ysFbou71hN5tc$>
>
>
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260914/ea9c5bfe/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image.png
Type: image/png
Size: 13580 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260914/ea9c5bfe/attachment.png>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Position Statement - Disposal of Household Waste of RPT Patients_FINALwLogos.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 344709 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.osu.edu/pipermail/intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list/attachments/20260914/ea9c5bfe/attachment.pdf>


More information about the Intl_dxmedphys_wd_osu_list mailing list