[Heb-NACO] series-like phrases, e.g. Pardes shirah

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at upenn.edu
Wed Jul 24 17:19:38 EDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

I've been seeing more records that include the statement Pardes shirah as a series. Online<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.loc.gov/catworkshop/courses/naco-full*20series-RDA/course*20table.html__;JSU!!KGKeukY!3B7g4USYPJaBM6fZNJBbvqLkSaZGBy7nI6kKprzuu6O8NhyBB4iM0cvVaR6sV7p6tODi-GSxVMJvQz9agOfkxQ$ > NACO series training documentation on series-like phrases (session 12<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.loc.gov/catworkshop/courses/naco-full*20series-RDA/Session*2012.pdf__;JSU!!KGKeukY!3B7g4USYPJaBM6fZNJBbvqLkSaZGBy7nI6kKprzuu6O8NhyBB4iM0cvVaR6sV7p6tODi-GSxVMJvQz8t6CyKXg$ >) outlines 10 categories of statements that are not to be recorded as series statements. Category 8 is unnumbered genre or characterizing word. There it states, "If an unnumbered genre or characterizing word in the singular form (or plural form having singular meaning) appears only on the cover or container, reject it as a series." (emphasis in original) It further says there "Generally, do not give it as a quoted note." The statement Pardes shirah can thus be disregarded altogether in the bibliographic description/record.

Please do not record Pardes shirah as a series. Please do let me know if there are any questions.

Thank you, Jasmin

---
J a s m i n  S h i n o h a r a
Hebraica Cataloging Librarian
[Penn Libraries logo]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.library.upenn.edu/__;!!KGKeukY!3B7g4USYPJaBM6fZNJBbvqLkSaZGBy7nI6kKprzuu6O8NhyBB4iM0cvVaR6sV7p6tODi-GSxVMJvQz-S3NPSWg$ >

PCC Funnels Coordinator:
     Hebraica BIBCO & NACO
     Israel/Judaica SACO
215-746-6397 | jshino at upenn.edu<mailto:jshino at upenn.edu>

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King, Jr.