[Heb-NACO] Subject to change: Jewish-Arab relations, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, etc. in LCSH and LCC

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:46:51 EST 2023

Dear colleagues,

As some of us well know, correctly applying the subject heading Jewish-Arab relations has been a challenge. Roger Kohn of the Library of Congress (LC) has previously presented at AJL (2019) regarding the use and misuse of this subject heading, yet we catalogers still struggle to accurately capture a book’s content using the subject headings as they’ve existed thus far.

To this end, the last time I came across a mis-applied Jewish-Arab relations subject in a bibliographic record (for the 2021 autobiographical novel Maḳlubah), I reached out to Roger. He suggested we approach LC’s Policy, Training, and Cooperative Programs (PTCP) Division with the hopes of finally getting greater clarity on the correct usage of the subject. We were thrilled to discover a Cooperative, Training, and Policy Section (CTPS, a section of PTCP) that was not only interested in clarifying this specific subject, but open to working together with us to find better, more accurate ways to describe the materials we collect and catalog in this subject area. Our thanks go to Nancy Cooey and Melanie Polutta of CTPS.

What started as an inquiry regarding the scope note of one subject heading blossomed into a project encompassing 15 proposals! These include 4 new subject headings, 8 modified subject headings, and 3 classification schedule modifications. Our thanks go to Roger for his heavy lifting in preparing the actual proposals. Before submitting these proposals to LC’s subject editorial board for the formal review process, we’d like to give you the opportunity to hear what the proposals are and contribute your feedback.

We have scheduled a Zoom meeting for May 17, 2023, at 10am EDT. This time is meant to accommodate both west coast and Israeli participants. We’ve allotted 2 hours in order to allow time after the presentation for questions. We will be recording the session for those unable to join live. Please register here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYuc-mqpjMjGtKdx9BOt0hS4X1YVZOFdy9Y__;!!KGKeukY!2HLb6IA1QwIN50TJF9KqKGc9Wg4tFVNgOMaldyJkEBwT5iPYfcf-onJKyxxWOzp5s199aimLStOKafSeAx55lqvXhhk$ >.

Looking forward to sharing our work with you,

Roger Kohn
Aaron Taub
Jasmin Shinohara

---
J a s m i n  S h i n o h a r a
Hebraica Cataloging Librarian
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D93C84.94236EC0]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.library.upenn.edu/__;!!KGKeukY!2HLb6IA1QwIN50TJF9KqKGc9Wg4tFVNgOMaldyJkEBwT5iPYfcf-onJKyxxWOzp5s199aimLStOKafSeAx55ffjiLHU$ >

PCC Funnels Coordinator:
Hebraica BIBCO & NACO | Judaica SACO
215-746-6397 | jshino at upenn.edu<mailto:jshino at upenn.edu>