[Heb-NACO] Date Status (DtSt) and Dates in the fixed field

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 14 17:09:21 EST 2022

Hi, Caroline, thank you for asking!

There may be other sources of documentation, but the first one I could find is found in Bib Formats and Standards (BFAS), under DtSt, Type of Date/Publication Status<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/fixedfield/dtst.html__;!!KGKeukY!3vnd0qXxGrzMvb6uZynJG4xKRcOwzuIT6hRsEJeb3mPfsvXkMjoQHvcy-2lD6RPQE__Sl6TvgH-6vKE1P10E2jrIKhEBGINjSOQ$ >. There, included as the last of the examples for the code s, is the example
DtSt

Dates

1983,[blank character][blank character][blank character][blank character]
264
_
1
Yerushalayim : ǂb E. Fisher, ǂc 744 [1983 or 1984]
[Non-Gregorian dates with no single Gregorian equivalent]

Thus, records with DtSt code q and the two years in Date 1 and Date 2 are incorrectly coded.

I’ll let you know if I find other documentation for this practice. In the meantime, hope this helps.

Kol tuv, Jasmin