[Heb-NACO] Online Ladino reference resources?

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 15 19:37:35 EST 2022

Hi Lili,

That is a good question with a less than satisfactory answer. Unfortunately Ladino does not have a standard orthography and lacks a single authoritative or normative dictionary to be employed for the romanization of Ladino.

For words of Hebrew/Aramaic derivation, as per the ALA/LC table we generally romanize them according to the ALA/LC table for Hebrew.

I don't remember if I ever came across a word that was taken from Turkish or Arabic. Certainly for those I would consult with Asuman and Magda.

I strongly encourage you to read the article by Zachary Baker "Some Problems of Ladino/Judezmo Romanization) that appeared in Judaica Librarianship v. 9, v.1/2, p. 48

The best recommendation is for words emanating from the Spanish, use a good standard Spanish dictdionary. In the above-mentioned article Zachary offers some for other resoureces on help with romanization (Baker, p. 53-54). SUL should have these and I would encourage you to check them out or order if available.

My best wishes for a lovely time off and Happy Hanukah!!!
Sincerely, Heidi

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica Emerita, Stanford University Libraries