[Heb-NACO] 046 Hebrew date coding in NARs

Galron, Joseph galron.1 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 22 23:50:52 EDT 2021

I encountered this issue for my Lexicon as well for entering dates in Wikidata (and encyclopedic entries in the Hebrew Wikipedia).
My opinion is that we should put the later date and only in cases we know the two dates then to prefer the Hebrew date. Our life is complicated enough. We have a tool to convert Hebrew calendar to the Gregorian calendar and vis-a-versa https://www.hebcal.com/converter
Is it really critical to know if someone was born in the evening before sunset or after sunset? (the only case for us will be if someone was born/died on December 31, 1969 or January 1, 1970 – this changes the heading in the 100 field).
I have so many stories I encountered while doing my biographical research for “my authors” where the Hebrew date is totally different then the Gregorian date on tombstones, in encyclopedias (Tidhar for example), Lexicons (Kressel and others). I saw letters by people who wrote that their Zeide told them they were born on Erev Shabbes of Hanukka, of תר"ע  1910 (Erev Shabbes of Hanukka was December 1909 and not 1910)
Remember – we have a backlog of Sforim we need to catalog – not too much time to spend on the issue if someone was born or died before or after sunset.

At this opportunity I invite you to view my working document in which I record the biographical information
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IPXgRBQE689SB8GpXKHjmSIlNP50n7hAJQEHaoVt8U4/edit?usp=sharing

My two Groschen to the issue

Yossi

יוסי גלרון-גולדשלגר
טלפון נייד 1.614.805.9954
Йозеф Галрон Гольдшлегер
Joseph (Yossi) Galron-Goldschläger<https://library.osu.edu/people/galron.1>
Head, Hebraica & Jewish Studies Library<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/clicktime.symantec.com/35nyXVx1aw9CrjvPVzwN5of6H2?u=http*3A*2F*2Fguides.osu.edu*2Fc.php*3Fg*3D337806*26p*3D2274681__;JSUlJSUlJSU!!KGKeukY!kUTYt7T7txseqvv_MbDA40Qc8GOigrxqsE-7Zi5NkfP2ikN57ei5Adhh0Mse6Etz$>
and German Language and Literature Librarian
305 G Thompson Memorial Library
The Ohio State University Libraries
1858 Neil Ave. Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210 USA
Tel.: (614) 292-3362, Fax: (614)292-1918
Mobile: (614) 805-9954
E-Mail: galron.1 at osu.edu<mailto:galron.1 at osu.edu> or jgalron at gmail.com<mailto:jgalron at gmail.com>

Lexicon of Modern Hebrew Literature:
http://go.osu.edu/hebrewlit<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/clicktime.symantec.com/3QFzqKM4bhoMEbRUtvt5Cwi6H2?u=http*3A*2F*2Fgo.osu.edu*2Fhebrewlit__;JSUlJQ!!KGKeukY!kUTYt7T7txseqvv_MbDA40Qc8GOigrxqsE-7Zi5NkfP2ikN57ei5Adhh0GlG_VHC$>

Union List of Digitized Jewish Historic Newspapers and Periodicals
http://go.osu.edu/jpress<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/clicktime.symantec.com/3T7oGBhra4qxPxXMeh5okCG6H2?u=http*3A*2F*2Fgo.osu.edu*2Fjpress__;JSUlJQ!!KGKeukY!kUTYt7T7txseqvv_MbDA40Qc8GOigrxqsE-7Zi5NkfP2ikN57ei5Adhh0OJa_eeX$>