[Heb-NACO] בגלל

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 8 11:06:25 EST 2019

Good morning, all, and happy Friday!

Picking up on where we left yesterday, based on p. 21 of HCM, ("In the rare cases where Even-Shoshan may show the  same word under more than  one entry element, the  more  'analytical' option is chosen.") we agreed that standard romanization of בגלל is bi-gelal (and בשביל is bi-shevil in all cases). Yossi confirmed that the romanzations of the words I’d listed (found in the wiki romanzation FAQ) are correct but questioned ממני. The source for that romanization, mimeni NOT mi-meni, is the original romanization FAQ<http://library.princeton.edu/departments/tsd/katmandu/hebrew/roman/mis37.html> compiled by Rachel and Joan. I could find no discussion in the heb-naco archives<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=heb-naco%40lists.service.ohio-state.edu&q=mimeni&x=0&y=0>, so perhaps Joan could chime in on the reasoning.

In the meantime, I also looked at the cataloging FAQ<http://www.princeton.edu/~rsimon/hebnaco.html> compiled by Rachel, which, though a bit dated, is still a treasure trove of valuable information. For our purposes, the entry under “levadi or le-vadi<http://www.princeton.edu/~rsimon/levadi.html>” is instructive:
In Even-Shoshan under "lamed" there is an  entry for: " lamed (sheva) bet (patah) dalet"; under  "bet" there is the following:  "lamed (sheva)  bet  (patah) dalet,  bet  (hirek) lamed (sheva) bet (patah) dalet,  mem  (hirek) lamed (sheva)  bet (patah) dalet, see lamed (sheva) bet (patah) dalet."
Therefore, this is *not* a case where Even-Shoshan shows the same word under more than  one entry element.  He shows the  word under lamed, and  under  bet  he refers the reader to  the  lamed entry.  In short, he treats this compound as  a  "word" beginning with lamed.  Therefore again, there's no "more 'analytical'" option to be chosen-- he doesn't give  an  option  at  all.   So:   levadi  is correct.  Even-Shoshan does say, in  the "levad" entry, that the  word comes from "le-" plus "bad."  But it's the  fact that  he doesn't give an *entry* for it under "bad" that's critical.
For ממני, under מ there is an entry for ממנה/ממנו and ממני, both of which refer to the entry מן. There are also entries for מנה, מנו (with a segol under the mem’s) but no corresponding מני. Perhaps that is the reason for mimeni, but should it be mi-menah and mi-menu? (LC shows 1 mi-menah; 19 mimenah; 15 mi-menu; 32 mimenu. There are also 5 mi-menO and 5 mimenO [different]; there’s no such thing…) Again, Joan, we’d appreciate your input.

The more critical question at this time is, Heidi and Joan, was there a reason the passage from HCM was not included in HCM-RDA? Should it be reinstated?

Thanks and apologies for my verbosity… Kol tuv and שבת שלום, Jasmin