[Heb-NACO] foreign-loan word q: ‏אולטרה-סאונד

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Thu Aug 30 13:54:44 EDT 2018

Hi all, as a foreign-loan word, and following HCM RDA2017rev, do we romanize the above as ulṭrah-saund or as vocalized in E-Sh., ulṭerah-saʼund? (cf ocn 960906983/lccn 2016504199). I would think the former, but I wanted to open it up to the crowd. (Yes, a 246 can be given for the alternate, but which is the alternate and which is the preferred?)

(I guess from this follows the question of all the Hebrew names that aren’t actually Hebrew, e.g., those ending in –baum, Laufer, etc. – are they still to be romanized –ba’um, La’ufer even though the alif is not pronounced and the names aren’t actually Hebrew? Or do we maintain status quo for these to prevent slippery-slope-syndrome?)

Thanks, Jasmin

---
Jasmin Shinohara
Hebraica Cataloging Librarian