[Heb-NACO] vocalizing a word question

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 20 19:16:17 EDT 2017

I was hoping for a "standard" instead of a "stanford" but I know what you
mean.

As for using Morfix/Rav Milim for new words, I'm with you up to a certain
point.  However, do we know what Morfix/Rav Milim's policy is when they use
a sheva? Take for instance datel-yud-tet, where there's a tsere under the
dalet and a sheva under the yud.  I think we can mostly presume that they
are describing a "long a" sound, that is, the tsere and yud-sheva are part
a diphthong, but per our romanization practices this presents a bit of a
challenge since our understanding of sheva is limited to opening a syllable
(e.g., teshuvah -----> deyet) and closing a syllable (e.g., toldot ---->
deyt).  Naturally both deyet and deyt have their troubles, though if we had
a sense of what Morfix/Rav milim's master plan is (rather than just
inferring and hoping for the best) we could perhaps make an explicit
exemption to accommodate their practice, and ease our own.

My two cents.