[Heb-NACO] compilation treatment in MARC

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 28 13:59:40 EDT 2016

Folks:

I have a work in front of me that is causing me RDA problems:

Iyunim be-sifrut mizmore Tehilim / Dr. Refael Adari.

The book is a compilation of two parts: the full text of Psalms and
Dr. Adari's commentary, which has no special name aside from Iyunim
be-sifrut mizmore Tehilim.

Since it's a compilation, the structure is:

24500 XXXXXXXXXX
7XX12$Container of (work):$aXXXXXXXX
7XX12$Container of (work):$aXXXXXXXX

For the piece in hand,

24500 Iyunim be-sifrut mizmore Tehilim ....
70012$iContainer of (work):$aAdari, Refael. $t Iyunim be-sifrut mizmore Tehilim
73002$iContainer of (work):$aBible. $p Psalms. etc.

The problem for me is that in its presentation, the publisher is
clearly emphasizing the commentary as the major feature of the book
even though it's one of two constituent parts.

1) Is this truly a compilation or is there a way of reading the rules
(aside from a less-than-full encoding level) to allow for a more
intuitive/AACR2-esque approach, e.g.

10010Adari, Refael
24510Iyunim be-sifrut mizmore Tehilim ....
73002$iContainer of (work):$aBible. $p Psalms. etc.
?

2)  "70012$iContainer of (work):$aAdari, Refael. $t Iyunim be-sifrut
mizmore Tehilim" makes me uneasy, mostly because I think it'll cause
confusion among both patrons and catalogers.  Am I correct in my
formulation?  Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Bob
--
Bob Talbott