[Heb-NACO] 264 bracketed dates: = or that is?

Neil Manel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Wed Jul 20 15:26:25 EDT 2016

I thought that in your B case we were supposed to write [Heb, that is, Greg]

Neil

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Shinohara, Jasmin <jshino at pobox.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> 1. You write below "present on the t.p. verso" and "present on the
> publication"; remember that both are equivalent in terms of RDA.  The
> entire body of work is considered the "preferred source of information"
> (formerly, "chief source of information", or "csi").  Where equivalent data
> appears in both vernacular and Roman forms, the "=" is used to show the two
> "parallel" forms.
>
> 2. Unless a work _specifically_ indicates a publication dates, the dates
> in the 264 are bracketed.  Hence, anywhere you have either a _copyright_ or
> a _printing_ date, it will be in brackets.
>
> Putting 1. and 2. together:
>
> A. If the resource gives a date anywhere in the publication in _both_ the
> Hebrew and the Gregorian forms, the 264 would give both, using the = to
> indicate both are present.
> B. If the date is something other than a publication date and appears in
> _both_ the Hebrew and the Gregorian forms, it will appear as [Heb. = Greg.].
> C. If a publication date is ONLY given in the Heb., the Heb. form will
> appear without brackets and "that is" will be added to give the inferred
> Greg. date inside brackets.
> D. If a publication date is ONLY given in the Heb., BUT there is another
> form of the date in the Greg. OR a more detailed Heb. date appears
> elsewhere in the source, the Heb. form will appear without brackets and the
> inferred Greg. date will be given in brackets, without either "=" or "that
> is" because the data is neither equivalent nor inferred.
>
> Capiche?  Others, did I miss anything?
>
> Jasmin

*Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D.*

Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger

McKeldin Library

University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Phone (301) 405-9337