[Heb-NACO] Use of email form of name?

Rachel Simon rsimon at Princeton.EDU
Thu Jul 7 15:27:03 EDT 2016

I wrote him (Eli Laniado elilaniado4 at gmail.com<mailto:elilaniado4 at gmail.com>) and he responded that he was born in 1948.

The boo is: מהפכות ופלאים

If taking the Hebrew form from the book ( לניאדו  ) should the Romanization  be Lanyado or Laniado?

Rachel

From: Heb-naco [mailto:heb-naco-bounces+rsimon=princeton.edu at lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of Heidi G Lerner
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2016 11:11 AM
To: Hebrew Name Authority Funnel
Subject: Re: [Heb-NACO] Use of email form of name?

Hi Rachel,

This question has come up before.  Here is a communication from  Hebnaco 2004:

I asked CPSO about this and here is the discouraging reply (plus my

query).  But still I think they can be helpful in cases like the one

Yossi cited--to justify a romanization--and maybe in others.  --Joan

++++++++++++

No, I don't think I can quite swallow a name in an email address to

justify a non-roman script heading when there is a Hebrew script form on

the chief source. (Email addresses don't always really convey a person's

preferred form--mine certainly doesn't!)

--Diane

>>> Joan C Biella 3/11/2004 4:12:59 PM >>>

According to LCRI 22.3C, a prominent roman-script form of name in a

Hebrew or Yiddish book can be used as a heading.  Do you think a name in

an e-mail address qualifies?  For example, would an e-mail address of

the form [EMAIL PROTECTED] justify creating a heading "Lovins,

Daniel"?  Or how about [EMAIL PROTECTED] that justify a

heading "Biella, J."?  (I'm assuming that these forms would be

compatible with the Hebrew-script forms of name on the chief sources.)

Thank you for your thoughts about this.

Joan

There have been other discussions of this nature I believe on PCClist and also within my own unit.

The key thing that was noted is that a form of a name found partly or fully in an email cannot be used as a preferred form of a heading although it may help in providing vocalization.

best, Heidi

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica

Metadata Dept.

Stanford University Libraries

Stanford, CA 94305-6004

ph: 650-725-9953