[Heb-NACO] Bible. Haftaroth

Elhanan Adler elhanana at savion.huji.ac.il
Thu Mar 12 04:42:12 EDT 2015

Thanks to all for your input on this

I think using Haftarot stand-alone (as a liturgical work?) as Benjamin suggests solves many of our problems.

If you are interested, here is a bit of background on the project-
The NLI (then JNUL) had separate catalogs for its various collections with very little coordination between them. Each collection had also its unique subject headings (in 9xx fields). While the BIB records of the separate collections (Scholem, maps, music, sound archives, manuscripts and some others) were merged some time ago, converting the subjects to the general library subject standards (fields 630/650/651/655) is a lot more complex. The last collection which still has 'local' subject fields is the manuscript collection, whose records include also cataloging records of the Institute of Hebrew Microfilmed Manuscripts – i.e. some 90% of the known Hebrew manuscripts of the world (over 150,000 records). The manuscript 'subjects' are not all subjects – they include subjects, form/genre, texts themselves and names of places connected with the ms. (not necessarily subjects). There are over 35,000 such unique 'subjects' some of which need to be folded into others. Many need to become unique 730s or NLI-unique 655s (ketubbot, gittin, shetarot, etc.) . 10,000 have been completed and 25,000 still to go. More information about this project at the NLI update session in June.

Elhanan

Elhanan Adler
Email: elhanana at savion.huji.ac.il
Mobile tel.: 972-54-6829657