[Heb-NACO] Obvious error in romanized form of name

Kuperman, Aaron akup at loc.gov
Thu Jul 9 13:07:33 EDT 2015

I looked in Google and for some people named "Levu" and even found some  who were also a Jacob/Yaakov.  One should note that in some dialects of Yiddish the "oo" sound becomes an "ee" sound, so it is possible that the non-Jewish clerk  recording the name assumed that some calling himself "lev--ee" was really a "lev-uu" with a southeastern (Galicianer) accent.  If the sources spells it one way, we shouldn't be trying to outguess the publisher - unless you can find it Romanized elsewhere (such as in Facebook or LinkedIn or the person's website).

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer