[Heb-NACO] Name is cyrilic script

Rachel Simon rsimon at Princeton.EDU
Wed Jul 1 12:37:03 EDT 2015

Thanks. That’s what I thought, but wanted to be sure. It says on the cover that he published the work in Russian the year before, but I couldn’t find it in the Israeli union list or OCLC, so, I’ll establish it based on the Hebrew book.

Rachel

From: Heb-naco [mailto:heb-naco-bounces+rsimon=princeton.edu at lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of Heidi G Lerner
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 12:21 PM
To: Hebrew Name Authority Funnel
Cc: Hebrew Name Authority Funnel (heb-naco at lists.service.ohio-state.edu)
Subject: Re: [Heb-NACO] Name is cyrilic script

No, we would choose the Hebrew script form and add the Cyrillic script as a  cross reference.

I had a case years ago where I had the Hebrew name of the author appear as an acrostic in a piyut and only a Cyrillic presented in a formal statement. We sent a query about which form to use  to CPSO and they thought that it was an April Fools joke. We used the Hebrew form that appeared in the acrostic.

The rule in LC-PCC PS 9.2.2.5.3  spells out in section 1 that we only use Romanized forms

If the name is found prominently in a romanized form in the resource being cataloged in a language using the Hebrew alphabet, use this form.